Jul 20 2011
OS X Lion was released today via the Official Mac App Store. Apple has limited the ways to get Lion on your Mac to only the Mac App Store. There is no Official method as of now from Apple that lets you perform a Clean Install of Lion on your Mac.
But that doesn’t mean you can’t perform a clean install of Lion.
1. Mac OS X Snow Leopard with Mac App Store installed.
2. A USB Drive with minimum 8Gb capacity.
Alternate Requirement: 4.7Gb DVD (Procedure of getting the Lion setup onto a Blank DVD is same as below, simply skip the 3rd Step)
Follow the steps below to Install OS X Lion from a USB Pen Drive:
1. Download Lion from the Mac App Store. You will get the setup in your Applications folder. Go to your Applications folder, Right Click on “Install Mac OS X Lion” and select Show Package Contents.
2. Go inside SharedSupport and open InstallESD.dmg
3. Here we have to prepare the USB Drive in order to get Lion Setup onto it and install it.
- Insert the USB Drive in your Mac.
- Open Disk Utility
- From the left menu. Select your Pen Drive and Click on the Erase Tab.
- Erase it with the following parameters shown below.
Drag Mac OS X Install ESD to the Source field.
Drag the USB Drive titled “Lion USB Key” as shown below to the Destination field.
5. The last step is to Click on Restore and your Lion Setup on a USB Drive is ready!
6. Restart your Mac holding down the Option key while the USB Drive is plugged in. Select the USB Drive and Perform a Clean Install of Lion!