Apr 4 2011
The iPhone Dev Team has just released the tools to a Untethered Jailbreak for the latest iOS v4.3.1.
The device support list is as follows:
- iPhone4 (GSM)
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
- AppleTV 2G (PwnageTool only for now)
The iPad 2 is not supported cause it uses a newer bootrom version that still needs to be patched.
Both pwnagetool and redsnow can be used to perform this jailbreak. I’d suggest you go with Redsnow as its more easier to use and simpler.
Download RedSn0w 0.9.6rc9 :
Redsnow for Windows : Click Here
Redsnow for Mac : Click Here
PwnageTool_4.3.dmg : PwnageTool_4.3.dmg.6293151.TPB.torrent
The reason I highly recommend Redsnow is cause you don’t need to wipe any data i.e. you can simply click the Update button to get to 4.3.1 and retain all your Songs, Music, Apps and everything without the need for a complete re-sync as in PwnageTool.
Update to 4.3.1 using the Update button via iTunes. (iPhone 4 AtnT Locked users should NOT try this. Read the note at the end of the page for more info.)
Follow these Steps to Jailbreak your iDevice running 4.3.1 using RedSnow:
2. Click on Browse and select the IPSW firmware file for 4.3.1.
For Mac the Location is : Your Name > Library > iTunes > iPad Software Updates
For Windows the location is : C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates
3. Once the IPSW is successfully identified, click on Next. Now you will get the following screen to prepare you to boot into DFU Mode inorder to load the exploit.
4. Click Next and you will get the steps to enter DFU Mode. If you’re still finding it difficult to enter DFU mode, follow this nice video tutorial which explains the procedure nicely.
5. Once you correctly enter DFU, you will see the following screen :
6. Your device will go start the Jailbreak Process. Wait for it to be finished and you will have an Untethered Device with 4.3.1.
Note for Factory Locked iPhone 4 Users:
For those using an iPhone unlocked with ultrasn0w do not update to 4.3.1 using the official method. If you already have, then tough luck. The iPhone 4 baseband is very difficult to hack and would take a while to get patched.
For others with iPhone 4 on older firmware and unlocked with ultrasn0w, please stay where you are until ultrasn0w is updated for 4.3.1. Once ultrasn0w is updated to support 4.3.1 you will have to use pwnagetool to create a custom IPSW and then update. Updated ultrasnow is said to be released today on Cydia.
Another sureshot way to make sure your carrier locked devices stay unlocked even after an upgrade of iOS versions you can purchase SIM Unlock tools. Some of these tools even provide iPhone 5 SIM unlocking!
[via - iPhoneDevTeam Blog]